FHI Introduces the "SUBARU XV CROSSTREK HYBRID" at the 2013 New York International Auto Show - First-Ever Production Hybrid model - (PDF/326KB)
March 29, 2013
FHI Introduces the "SUBARU XV CROSSTREK HYBRID"
at the 2013 New York International Auto Show
- First-Ever Production Hybrid model -
Tokyo, March 29, 2013 – Fuji Heavy Industries Ltd. (FHI), the manufacturer of Subaru automobiles, unveiled the "Subaru XV Crosstrek Hybrid" today at the New York International Auto Show (Press day: March 27 and 28; Open to the public from March 29 through April 7, 2013).
The Subaru XV Crosstrek Hybrid is the Subaru's first hybrid vehicle and like all Subaru models embodies "Enjoyment and Peace of Mind" driving experience realized through the Subaru brand. In addition to the XV Crosstrek's original attributes: superb driveability, All-Wheel drive (AWD) capability and versatile utility, Subaru's original hybrid system has been integrated into the model, furthering its sporty, fun to drive character and environmental friendliness.
SUBARU XV CROSSTREK HYBRID (US specifications)
[ Main features of the Subaru XV Crosstrek Hybrid (US specifications) ]
The Subaru XV Crosstrek Hybrid optimally balances fun to drive character and environmental friendliness.
In addition to the XV Crosstrek's original superb driveability, rough-road capability and versatile utility, the simple and practical hybrid system has been integrated into the Subaru Symmetrical AWD system. The motor assist function of the electric motor delivers increased torque, responsive power and environmental friendliness. While its weight balance remains the same as the gasoline XV Crosstrek, the chassis performance has been refined exclusively for the hybrid model. The Hybrid chassis delivers a sporty yet stable drive. The Subaru XV Crosstrek Hybrid will be introduced to the US market late fall this year.
<Hybrid system and Power unit>
- The system offers smooth and responsive acceleration with a motor assist function and the best-in-class* fuel economy.
*: SUV AWD vehicle except for PHV in US. In-house test result.
- Based on the Lineartronic (CVT) of the gasoline XV Crosstrek, a motor exclusively designed for the hybrid model was integrated inside the transmission case and is installed behind the primary pulley.
- A 2.0-litre DOHC Horizontally-Opposed 4-cylinder gasoline engine was partially modified for the hybrid model, including reduction in engine friction.
- By installing the high voltage battery under the cargo space, the overall front rear weight distribution and the low center of gravity were maintained at the same level as the gasoline XV Crosstrek.
- The hybrid system offers EV (Electric Vehicle) driving at low speeds and motor assist driving at medium speeds. Enhanced fuel economy and responsive driving experience were both achieved.
- Exclusive tuning for the front and rear suspensions, enhanced body rigidity and quick steering gear ratio enhanced sportiness of the XV Crosstrek Hybrid.
- A simple and clean design motif was adopted in the exterior and interior enhancements which differentiate the car form the gasoline XV model. The design embodies eco-friendliness and advanced technologies of the XV Crosstrek Hybrid.
- For the exterior, exclusive parts for the hybrid model such as rear combination lamps and aluminum-alloy wheels were newly developed. "HYBRID" badges appear at the front edges of the front doors and on the rear gate.
- In the interior, the exclusively designed instrument cluster uses gradations of the blue color scheme to create a sense of depth. The Multi-Function Display shows the hybrid system's energy flow according to driving conditions.
- A new "Plasma Green Pearl" exterior color has been adopted. This eye-catching color evokes ecology as well as stands out in town.
<Major Specifications (US specifications)>
Overall Length X Width X Height (mm): 4,450 X 1,780 X 1,615
Wheelbase (mm): 2,640
Engine Type: 2.0-litre DOHC Horizontally-Opposed 4-cylinder petrol engine
Transmission Type: Lineartronic (CVT)
Electric Motor Type: Permanent magnet AC synchronous motor
Max. output of electric motor: 13.4hp (10kW)
Max. torque of electric motor: 48.0lb-ft (65N-m)
Battery Type: Nickel hydride batteries
Tires: 225/55 R17
Seating Capacity: 5
The special site on the Subaru Global Site (http://www.subaru-global.com/ms2013/ny/) will be updated with information relating to the New York International Auto Show. This will include images of the "Subaru XV Crosstrek Hybrid" as well as a movie of Subaru's press conference.