World Premiere of the "SUBARU WRX CONCEPT" at the 2013 New York International Auto Show (PDF/254KB)
March 29, 2013
World Premiere of the "SUBARU WRX CONCEPT"
at the 2013 New York International Auto Show
Tokyo, March 29, 2013 – Fuji Heavy Industries Ltd. (FHI), the manufacturer of Subaru automobiles, unveiled the "SUBARU WRX CONCEPT" today at the New York International Auto Show (Press day: March 27 and 28; Open to the public from March 29 through April 7, 2013).
The Subaru WRX is known for its powerful turbo engine delivering abundant performance and torque distribution through Subaru's renowned Symmetrical All-Wheel Drive (AWD) system. This combination allows all drivers to feel confident and in control in any kind of driving condition.
The all-new SUBARU WRX CONCEPT hints at the design language of the next generation Subaru WRX. The aggressive design communicates its increased agility and driving excitement.
SUBARU WRX CONCEPT
[ Main features of the SUBARU WRX CONCEPT ]
- Front design emphasizes the aggressiveness of the WRX with depth and solidity that give the concept car a stable stance. A prominent hexagonal grille with the three dimensional mesh patterns denotes the sporting nature of the SUBARU WRX CONCEPT, while the new hawk-eye headlights integrate the Subaru family design heritage.
- The all-new SUBARU WRX CONCEPT is lower, sleeker with a more powerful design than before. A large opening in the front bumper, a classic WRX hood scoop, fender ducts and pronounced power bulge denote the powerful turbocharged engine performance.
- The body form starting from the iconic hexagonal grille, combined with the bold fender flares, realizes a solid design that embodies the strong driving performance of the WRX.
- The compact cabin greenhouse draws attention to the power and solidity of the body and focuses attention to the large wheel arches. The wide wheel arches are the central design theme in a side view. A sharp character line runs from the front fender through to the rear-end, intersected by powerful wheel arches emphasizing Subaru’s renowned AWD capability.
- The rear design echoes the hexagonal design motif from the front grille and features a dramatically curved trunk lid that also acts as a rear spoiler.
- The wide rear bumper of the SUBARU WRX CONCEPT adds to the powerful street presence of the car and is off-set by large quad tailpipes denoting the powerful turbocharged engine. The aggressive rear diffuser improves vehicles aerodynamics.
- To further enhance handling dynamics, the SUBARU WRX CONCEPT features a carbon roof for a lower center of gravity and lighter weight.
- The exterior color is "WR Blue Pearl III" and modernizes the traditional WRX look. Fluorescent Yellow is used as an accent on the WRX badge on the front grille, the brake calipers and the exhaust finisher, adding character notes to the design.
- The 245/40ZR20 Dunlop tire has an exclusive design tread pattern. The wheels are BBS "RI-D" One Piece Forged Duralumin wheels.
- Body size (Overall Length x Width x Height): (4,520 X 1,890 X 1,390 mm), Wheelbase: (2,760 mm) This lower and wider silhouette represents the progressive WRX sedan form.
The special site on the Subaru Global Site (http://www.subaru-global.com/ms2013/ny/) will be updated with information relating to the New York International Auto Show. This will include images of the "SUBARU WRX CONCEPT" as well as a movie of Subaru’s press conference.