Subaru Reveals All-New “WRX”
November 21, 2013
Subaru Reveals All-New "WRX"
Tokyo, November 21, 2013 - Fuji Heavy Industries Ltd. (FHI), the maker of Subaru automobiles,today announced that the all-new Subaru WRX (US specifications) has made its world premiere at the 2013 Los Angeles Auto Show being held at the Los Angeles Convention Center.
The product concept for the all-new WRX is "Pure Power in Your Control". Reigning in the intense power and superior environmental friendliness of the 2.0-liter Horizontally-Opposed direct injection turbo "DIT" engine with a body and chassis thoroughly stiffened, the new WRX has drivers rejoicing at the free reign they have over this high-powered machine. Also,along with the standard six-speed manual transmission, Sport Lineartronic has newly been adopted to the transmission. In addition to smooth shifting mode, the Sport Lineartronic comes with an eight-speed manual shift mode with sharp shifting response, allowing more drivers to enjoy a spirited drive.
Equipped with a Symmetrical AWD (All-Wheel drive) system built around Subaru's Boxer engine, the WRX is the symbol of Subaru AWD sport performance. Ever since the first model hit the streets back in 1992, the WRX has gained worldwide support from sports car enthusiasts as a distinctive sports sedan combining impressive sport performance with the practicality of a four-door sedan.
|Subaru WRX (US specifications)|
"Pure Power in Your Control"
The product concept "Pure Power in Your Control" was established during development of the new WRX. This concept aims to reach an even higher order of "absolute speed" and "driving excitement" for sports sedans, the goal pursued in successive generations of WRX models.This product concept was embodied to maximize the potential of the turbo Boxer engine and the pursuit of ultimate control performance, allowing drivers to steer the vehicle exactly as they imagine. To this end, the body has been made lighter and more rigid, integrating extensive chassis reinforcements.
< Chassis and Body >
Chassis and body performance have been thoroughly enhanced so that drivers can better control the absolute speed of combining Symmetrical AWD with a turbo Boxer engine.
- Working to stiffen both body and suspension while optimizing suspension geometry has both quickened vehicle response to driver steering input and raised the limit performance for cornering. In addition, Multi-mode Vehicle Dynamics Control (VDC) and Active Torque Vectoring have been added for even more predictable, more enjoyable driving.
- Many hours of in-depth suspension tuning have resulted in a flat, comfortable ride.
- The electric power steering is employed with more rigid steering gearbox mounts for a improved fuel efficiency and a more direct steering feel.
< Engine >
The WRX is equipped with a new high performance 2.0-liter Horizontally-Opposed direct injection turbo "DIT" engine for high power with environmental friendliness.
- The DIT engine has vastly improved performance over the existing 2.5-liter model. It produces a maximum 268 horsepower at 5,600 rpm and 258 lb.-ft. of torque from 2,000 to 5,200 rpm while maintaining high environmental performance.
< Transmission >
This is the first time a manual transmission has been paired with the DIT Boxer engine.Also, the new optional Sport Lineartronic provides greatly improved shift response for a sportier ride than the existing Lineartronic applied for higher torque. This offers more drivers excellent environmental friendliness to go along with real sports driving excitement.
- Six-Speed Manual Transmission -
- The gear ratio and gear stick ratio have been optimized from the five-speed manual transmission to achieve better driveability and smoother shifting to match the sporty features of the WRX.
- By widening the gear ratios from the existing five-speed manual transmission to keep engine speeds lower, it has better fuel economy and is quieter driving at high speeds.
- Sport Lineartronic -
- The Sport Lineartronic draws out the full potential of the 2.0-liter DIT Boxer engine in terms of power, torque and environmental friendliness, allowing for relaxed, environmentally responsible driving.
- When driving in the D-range, selecting "Sport# (S#) mode" with "SI-DRIVE" switches to eight-speed shifting. Giving the Lineartronic a selectable mode in addition to its standard smooth shifting mode lets drivers directly feel the WRX's impressive power performance to better enjoy its sporty ride.
Following Subaru's safety philosophy of "ALL-AROUND SAFETY", performance in all safety fields have been enhanced.
< Active Safety >
- With Symmetrical AWD as a base, the body was lightened, rigidity improved and chassis performance enhanced along with VDC. All this gives the WRX the best hazard avoidance performance in its class, making driving excitement a safe endeavor in any scenario.
< Passive Safety >
- The new WRX employs more high tensile steel plating with strengthened joints with various structures. While helping to reduce weight, these changes also make for a stronger body with world-class safety performance in collisions from the front, rear or sides.
- In addition to assertively using collision-absorbing structure for the hood and bulkhead,collision-absorbing material has been added in the engine compartment side for increased pedestrian protection.
The unrivalled WRX character from successive generations has been honed yet again by further improving its practicality as a performance four-door sedan.
- The wheelbase has been enlarged by 25 mm, all of which was used to expand rear leg room. This gives the new WRX more elbow- and shoulder-room without changing the total body width.
- The bottom end of the A-pillar has been extended 200 mm toward the front and the side mirrors mounted on the front door panels to add a new quarter window and keep the dashboard and door window sills lower. These changes make for a better visibility and sleek styling.
- Front and rear door opening dimensions have been enlarged, making ingress and egress much easier.
- Trunk space has been expanded and made easier to use by adopting fold down rear seats with a large opening and 60:40 split.
< Exterior >
Befitting of Subaru's flagship performance model, the WRX exterior presents a performance all-wheel drive car with aggressive yet refined styling.
- The front end was built using a nose cone design for a dynamic solid shape, starting with Subaru's unified design motif, the hexagonal grille. The intrepid shape of the new hawkeye headlights is paired with the aggressive wide and low styling the WRX is known for.
- For side design, the bottom end of the A-pillar was extended 200 mm toward the front from the previous model and the C-pillar now smoothly transits into the trunk surface for a flowing silhouette. Front fender ducts and special sharp side sill spoilers show off the sporty nature of the WRX.
- The rear design further enhances the WRX's appeal as a performance model. The diffuser-integrated bumper and twin dual mufflers emphasize the low center of gravity and driving performance. Specially designed rear combination lamps were given a thin shape to highlight vehicle width. A small rear spoiler also enhances aerodynamic performance.
- A shark fin antenna is used to match the body and add more refinement to the styling.
- New alloy wheels (17x8J) in dark gun metal were designed to be more rigid and lighter.
- LED lighting is employed for the headlights (low beams and clearance lamps)*1, tail and brake lights and high-mounted brake light in an effort to improve fuel efficiency by saving power.
- WR Blue Pearl and Crystal White Pearl are two new exterior colors.
*1： Manufacturer-installed option
< Interior >
The WRX interior is all about high performance. The driver's seat was designed to be like a cockpit̶the moment the driver opens the door, they get transported miles from their daily life.
- For the first time, the WRX gets a D-shaped steering wheel for a sportier impression. The grip shape is easy to hold onto with a small diameter for improved operability and tactile feedback, making for a more appealing driving experience.
- As a symbol of the racing spirit, a silver ring engraved with the letters "WRX" rests around the shift lever on manual models.
- Befitting a high performance vehicle, the seats are designed with superior holding ability.
- Decorative carbon trim panels and metal trim accents have been arranged around the interior, centered on the controlling elements. This gives the interior a quality feel and harkens back to the WRX racing image.
- The meters employ a dual dial layout with horizontal needles, 3.5-inch full color liquid crystal display and aluminum rings for improved functionality and a quality feel. The attention to detail gives a refined, performance feel of a high performance car. The red-based lighting elicits a performance racing image, made even more noticeable by its contrast with the white needles.
- As another racing symbol, the multi-function display is equipped with a boost pressure display screen.
- The interior is solid black from roof to floor, bringing the whole interior together and allowing the driver to concentrate on driving. Quality materials soft to the touch are used in places the passenger will touch frequently for a more quality interior feel.
- Red is used throughout on stitching and meters in homage to the WRX racing image.
- Models equipped with navigation systems support Aha Radio*2.
- The WRX uses harman/kardon audio systems custom tuned to acoustically fit the WRX.
*2： A service by the Aha Radio Division of Harman International providing internet radio and other various content.
<Major specifications (US specifications)>
Body size (Overall length / width / height): 4,595×1,795×1,475 mm*3
Wheelbase: 2,650 mm
Engine: 2.0-liter Horizontally-Opposed direct injection turbo "DIT" engine
Displacement: 1,998 cc
Transmission options: six-speed manual or Sport Lineartronic*4
Max output: 268 hp / 5,600 rpm
Max torque: 258 lb.-ft. / 2,000-5,200 rpm
Tire size: 235/45 R17
Seating capacity: 5
*3： Roof surface is 1,465 mm
*4 Lineartronic： Continuously variable transmission (CVT) with fully automatic electronic control