Subaru Launches All-New "WRX STI" in Japan
August 25, 2014
Subaru Launches All-New "WRX STI" in Japan
Tokyo, August 25, 2014 - Fuji Heavy Industries Ltd. (FHI), the manufacturer of Subaru automobiles, has introduced the all-new Subaru "WRX STI" in Japan. Subaru's high-performance sedan goes on sale today at Subaru dealers throughout Japan.
Embodying the WRX series product concept "Pure Power in Your Control" at the highest level, the WRX STI is the flagship model of the series. Every component of the vehicle, including body and chassis, has been refined and coordinated to achieve the ultimate in Subaru all-wheel drive (AWD) sports performance, enabling drivers to control the vehicle's ample power*1 at will. Standard equipment includes Subaru's motorsport-bred turbocharged 2.0-liter Boxer engine and multimode Driver's Control Center Differential (DCCD) system.
Specially developed suspension further enhances chassis rigidity to enhance steering response, rear grip, and flat ride. Handling characteristics honed to cope with driving conditions anywhere in the world, including the punishing track of Germany's Nürburgring circuit, offer agile driver response and more precise and stable cornering, while also enhancing steering stability and ride comfort.
*1: 227 kW (308 PS) at 6,400 rpm and 422 N・m (43.0 kgf・m) at 4,400 rpm.
Subaru WRX STI Type S (Japanese specs.)
■ Product concept
"Pure Power in Your Control"
The product concept "Pure Power in Your Control" was established during development of the new WRX series. This concept aims to reach an even higher order of "absolute speed" and "driving excitement" for sports sedans, the goal pursued in successive generations of WRX series. This product concept was embodied to maximize the potential of the turbo Boxer engine and the pursuit of ultimate control performance, allowing drivers to steer the vehicle exactly as they imagine. To this end, the body has been made lighter and more rigid, integrating extensive chassis reinforcements.
< Chassis and Body >
Symmetrical AWD-based chassis and body performance has been thoroughly enhanced to the hilt to squeeze every last drop of power out of the Horizontally-Opposed turbo engine. This is what makes "Pure Power in Your Control" possible.
- Working to stiffen both body and suspension while optimizing suspension geometry has both quickened vehicle response to driver steering input and raised the limit performance for cornering. In addition, Multi-mode Vehicle Dynamics Control (VDC) and Active Torque Vectoring have been added for even more predictable, more enjoyable driving.
- Many hours of in-depth suspension tuning have resulted in a flat, comfortable ride.
- An exclusive inverted-strut front suspension system has further refined steering response.
- Steering has been made more precise with a more rigid steering system.
< Engine >
The new WRX STI is equipped with a 2.0-liter Horizontally-Opposed turbo engine, serving as a symbol of Subaru's high performance and reliability, as perfected in motorsport.
- Through precise tuning, the engine produces an impressive 227 kW (308 PS) at 6,400 rpm and 422N・m (43.0 kgf・m) of torque at 4,400 rpm.
< Transmission >
On the receiving end of the powerful Horizontally-Opposed engine, the WRX STI employs a reinforced six-speed manual transmission. Coupled with short throw shifting, the combination makes driving a thrill.
- Six-Speed Manual Transmission -
- Compared to the previous 6MT, the new WRX STI transmission was given better tactile feedback with gears that lock solidly in place for a sportier shift feel.
- The WRX STI equipment package continues to come with the multi-mode DCCD system, a carryover from the previous model. This system allows the driver to freely select center differential control characteristics according to road conditions and driver's preferences.
Following Subaru's safety philosophy of "ALL-AROUND SAFETY", performance in all safety fields have been enhanced.
< Active Safety >
- Based on the Symmetrical AWD, a lighter, more rigid body and an enhanced chassis incorporating the Vehicle Dynamics Control (VDC) system achieve superior hazard avoidance, allowing drivers to enjoy the ride with peace of mind under any conditions.
< Passive Safety >
- The WRX STI employs more high tensile steel plating with strengthened joints with various structures. While helping to reduce weight, these changes also make for a stronger body with world-class safety performance in collisions from the front, rear or sides.
- In addition to assertively using collision-absorbing structure for the hood and bulkhead, collision-absorbing material has been added in the engine compartment side for increased pedestrian protection.
The unrivalled WRX STI character from successive generations has been honed yet again by further improving its practicality as a performance four-door sedan.
- The wheelbase has been enlarged by 25 mm, all of which was used to expand rear leg room. This gives the new WRX STI more elbow- and shoulder-room without changing the total body width.
- The bottom end of the A-pillar has been extended 200 mm toward the front and the side mirrors mounted on the front door panels to add a new quarter window and keep the dashboard and door window sills lower. These changes make for a better visibility and sleek styling.
- Front and rear door opening dimensions have been enlarged, making ingress and egress much easier.
- Trunk space has been expanded and made easier to use by adopting fold down rear seats with a large opening and 60:40 split.
< Exterior >
Befitting of Subaru's flagship performance model, the exterior design expresses the strong presence of an ultimate AWD performance car with aggressive yet refined styling.
- The front end was built using a nose cone design for a dynamic solid shape, starting with Subaru's unified design motif, the hexagonal grille. The intrepid shape of the new hawkeye headlights is paired with the aggressive wide and low styling the WRX STI is known for.
- For side design, the bottom end of the A-pillar was extended 200 mm toward the front from the previous model and the C-pillar now smoothly transits into the trunk surface for a flowing silhouette. Front fender ducts and special sharp side sill spoilers show off the sporty nature of the WRX STI.
- The rear design further enhances the WRX STI's appeal as a performance model. The diffuser-integrated bumper and twin dual mufflers emphasize the low center of gravity and driving performance. Specially designed rear combination lamps were given a thin shape to highlight vehicle width. A large rear spoiler also enhances aerodynamic performance and presents the top grade model of the WRX series.
- A shark fin antenna is used to match the body and add more refinement to the styling.
- New 18-inch alloy wheels were designed to be more rigid and lighter.
- LED lighting is employed for the headlights (low beams and clearance lamps)*2, tail and brake lights and high-mounted brake light in an effort to improve fuel efficiency by saving power.
- Exclusive letters "STI" rest on the exterior parts such as a front grille and front fenders.
- WR Blue Pearl and Crystal White Pearl are two new exterior colors.
*2: Manufacturer-installed option
< Interior >
The WRX STI interior is all about high performance. The driver's seat was designed to be like a cockpit—the moment the driver opens the door, they get transported miles from their daily life.
- For the first time, the WRX STI gets a D-shaped steering wheel for a sportier impression. The grip shape is easy to hold onto with a small diameter for improved operability and tactile feedback, making for a more appealing driving experience.
- Decorative carbon trim panels and metal trim accents have been arranged around the interior, centered on the controlling elements. This gives the interior a quality feel and harkens back to the WRX racing image. The red accents on seats, shift lever and center of instrument panel are exclusive features for the WRX STI.
- Befitting a high performance vehicle, the seats are designed with superior holding ability. The headrests were also embossed with an "STI" logo on their front.
- The meters employ a dual dial layout with horizontal needles, 3.5-inch full color liquid crystal display and aluminum rings for improved functionality and a quality feel. The attention to detail gives a refined, performance feel of a high performance car. The red-based lighting elicits a performance racing image, made even more noticeable by its contrast with the white needles.
- As another racing symbol, the multi-function display is equipped with a boost pressure display screen.
- The interior is solid black from roof to floor, bringing the whole interior together and allowing the driver to concentrate on driving. Quality materials soft to the touch are used in places the passenger will touch frequently for a more quality interior feel.
< Major specifications (Japanese specs.) >
- Body size (Overall length / width / height): 4,595 x 1,795 x 1,475 mm*3
- Wheelbase: 2,650 mm
- Engine: 2.0-liter Horizontally-Opposed turbo engine
- Displacement: 1,994 cc
- Transmission options: six-speed manual
- Maximum output: 227 kW (308 PS) at 6,400 rpm
- Maximum torque: 422 N・m (43.0 kgf・m) at 4,400 rpm
- Tire size: 245/40 R18
- Seating capacity: 5
*3: Roof surface is 1,465 mm